The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has announced a new version of Form I–9, Employment Eligibility Verification which is used by employers to verify the identity and employment authorization of their employees. The USCIS has incorporated minor changes to the form and its instructions.
In the updated Form I–9, USCIS has added Eswatini and North Macedonia to the Country of Issuance field in Section 1 and the foreign passport issuing authority field in Section 2 per those countries’ recent name changes. These changes will only be visible when completing the fillable Form I–9 on a computer.
Further, the following form instructions have been updated:
- Clarification on who can act as an authorized representative on behalf of an employer;
- USCIS website addresses has been updated;
- Clarifications on acceptable document;
- Updated the process for requesting the paper Form I–9;
- Updated the DHS Privacy Notice.
Form I-9 with a version date of ‘‘(Rev. 10/21/2019)’’ has been made available for use since January 31, 2020. However, employers may continue to use the prior version of the form, dated “(Rev. 07/17/2017 N),” until April 30, 2020. The USCIS is allowing employers this additional time to make necessary updates and adjust their business processes. After April 30, 2020, the prior version of the form will no longer be valid for use.
- Manizeh Mistry, Deputy Head – Global Immigration